Saturday, November 22, 2014

Honeymoon Sea Glass

My husband and I married in 2001 and spent our honeymoon at beautiful Deere Isle, Maine, overlooking the Penobscot Bay. 
Low tide on the Penobscot Bay
Our vacation condo overlooked the bay and we enjoyed watching the tide roll in and out.  We only tried swimming once. It was freezing cold! 
I've been an avid beachcomber since childhood, so I reached down to see if there were any pretty shells, rocks, etc., under our feet, and discovered a treasure trove of sea glass.

Sea glass begins as normal shards of broken glass that are then persistently tumbled and ground until the sharp edges are smoothed and rounded. In this process, the glass loses its slick surface but gains a frosted appearance over many years.
Naturally produced sea glass ("genuine sea glass") originates as pieces of glass from broken bottles, broken tableware, or even shipwrecks, which are rolled and tumbled in the ocean for years until all of their edges are rounded off, and the slickness of the glass has been worn to a frosted appearance.
The glass varies in value, but generally thicker pieces and rarer colors (anything other than the common beer/wine bottle colors of clear, brown or green) are worth more, as that generally indicates the glass is older.
I am not terribly superstitious but sea glass is special to me because I found my very first piece of sea glass the first time I went to the beach with my husband. It obviously came from an old brown beer bottle but I thought it was beautiful, and I fashioned it into a necklace that I wore at our wedding as my "something old."
I also made the matching pearl-and-crystal headpiece and arranged the flowers....
I enjoy created jewelry pieces featuring the sea glass. I often pair the sea glass with macrame', as it is a traditional sailor's art. 
I still have some of the honeymoon sea glass and use it in jewelry pieces.  I believe that it imparts luck and love to anyone who wears it.

No comments:

Post a Comment